Monday 12 February 2018

Wonder Woman: Warbringer by: Leigh Bardugo

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Published: August 28, 2017 by: Random House Children's Books
Pages: 364
Rating: 3/5 stars



Princess Diana longs to prove herself worthy to her warrior sisters. But when she risks everything by rescuing a mortal, she is soon sent into a quest with the mysterious Alia, a direct descendant of Helen of Troy who is being hunted down, as she holds the power to unleash a world war. Together, the two girls with endure supernatural enemies and coming to terms with their own strengths, in order to save both of their very different worlds.

I'm kind of up in arms about this book. On one hand, it was unique, what could have been a thrilling tale about a beloved superhero from a much beloved author. On the other, it was a book that I may have forced myself to like, because of said beloved author and my willingness to attempt to get myself into superheroes.

The one geeky thing I can't seem to get myself into are superheroes. Comics are ok, but not my favourite, and the superhero movies just don't interest me all that much. But dammit, if Leigh Bardugo writes a book, you read the book. I didn't hate this book, it just wasn't my cup of tea, although I do enjoy the concept of wonder woman and the mythological undertones.

Overall, this book just wasn't for me. I enjoyed the action and learning about a superhero I don't know much about, but I don't think I'll be picking up any other YA superhero retellings from now on. I just find them boring and dull. But hey, if you like Wonder Woman, you may love this book.

Have you read Wonder Woman: Warbringer? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think authors try too hard with superhero novelisations - they always seem to be missing something, y'know? I still wanna read this one though! (Apparently I haven't learnt my lesson!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe! I don’t read all that many so I don’t have much to compare it to.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you didn't enjoy this :( I absolutely did, but I love superheroes, so I guess if you're not a superhero fan that takes a lot out of the book for you.
    Great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to request this one from my local library! My fiancé and I just watched the recent Wonder Woman film. I didn't totally love it, but I did enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s good that you enjoyed it! I you’ll get to try this one :)

      Delete