Wednesday 3 June 2015

Paperback's Pondering's: Book to Movie Adaptions


I've decided that I wanted to stop doing memes, but I wanted something to take it's place. I love discussion posts, and I realized that I do have a lot of thoughts and opinions on things in the bookish life, so I want to start doing discussions! So without further ado, welcome to the first addition of Paperback's Pondering's! This will be every Wednesday, and I'm so excited to pursue it :)

The first post is all about book to movie adaptions, the good, the bad and the ugly.

One of the most exciting thing in the bookworm world, is finding out that your favourite book is becoming a t.v. show. However, things might not always turn out to be what you hoped for. If I'm being completely honest, it doesn't really bother me if a book I adore, is not quite like the movie adaption. I love movies as well as books, so as long as the adaption is not cheesy, I'm all for it.

There are some people, however who prefer the book and movie to be extremely similar, and that's alright too! There is the old saying: the book's always better, but for some reason, I've found that to be not always the case. There are a few books that didn't stand out to me, but I was absolutely intrigued by the movie. I think it all depends on people's different tastes. What could be amazing for one, could be a travesty for another.

Another big debate in this world is when a movie adds extra/cuts scenes from a book. Adding scenes can either go really well, or really bad, and I think it all depends on if the added scene really adds to the plot. Some scenes can be very pointless.

It can also be frustrating to have your favourite book scene be cut out of the movie scene! Sadly there is nothing you can do about this, but I think in a way, that can be positive too because you can imagine that scene exactly how you want it to be. No other person can decide that scene for you.

To the best things about movie adaptions now, it is that they can create a world that you always dreamed of. The characters that you've imagined can finally come to life, and nothing in this world is better than having a killer cast for a movie adaption.

I also love talking to other people who may have not read the book, but enjoyed the movie. It pulls people into our world, so they can finally see why we hype and fangirl all along. I lend a lot of the success in getting my friends to read my favourite books, to the movie that they watched.

Overall, book to movie adaptions can be a wonderful things. They can help you to fully visualise what you've always kept in your head. They can sometimes be underwhelming, but hey, at least people took an interest in your favourite book.

I want to know what you think! Do you jump at the chance to watch adaptions? Or would you rather leave everything to your imagination? Also, I would love if you left requests for future pondering's! I'm always looking for ideas :)

Emily @ Paperback Princess

10 comments:

  1. This was a great discussion! I love the name, Paperback's Ponderings, too. I wish I could put out discussion posts as often as you plan to, but I find them quite tricky to write. :/ Getting my thoughts into actual coherent words tends to be a challenge. Not good for a blogger.

    But as for movie adaptations, I am usually pretty interested in them if I've read the book. Unless the cast really deviates from what I pictured in my head, I'll give it a chance. Sometimes though, if I know a new film is based on a book, I'll watch it and then pick the book up if it interested me. It all depends. I also highly agree that 'the book is always better' isn't always the case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Charlotte! I sometimes watch films before reading books, just to see how interesting it is. Sometimes a movie just interests me more than a book!

      Delete
    2. I get that, too! Especially if it's for a genre I don't really read. However, there are also some films based on books I've read that I won't ever watch - mainly because they're horror and scary films give me nightmares!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I can barely read horror books let alone watch them on screen!

      Delete
  2. That is so true! The book is NOT always better! I found that it is like maybe 75% of the time :) The thing that makes me mad about adaptations are like it just forms so many new followers of the series and I get jealous that I knew about it BEFORE it was a movie, LOL! I guess that is just stupid of me but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealousy can also play a huge factor, and I do get it sometimes. It's usually only when I'm really over-protective over a book lol!

      Delete
  3. This a great thought for a feature!

    Generally, most of the people prefer the book over the movie adaptation. I basically don't care all that much. If I miss something in the film, then I'll just read my favourite scenes again later. For example, when Lord of the Rings first came out I had already read it and was one of my favourite books (and it still is) and there are so many omitted scenes! But the movies kept the essence and I liked them. I've watched them several times to be precise (the director's cut as well), but I've also read the books several times as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's like me with Harry Potter! Obviously a lot of scenes in the movies were cut out, but I still loved them anyways.

      Delete