Friday 9 June 2017

Homegoing by: Yaa Gyasi

Genre: Historical Fiction
Published: June 7, 201 by: Knopf Books
Pages: 305
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

It all started with Effia and Esi in eighteenth century Ghana. Effia is married off to an Englishman, and her half-sister Esi is trapped under her very home in the dungeons, ready to be shipped off to America in the booming slave trade. Homegoing will follow these two sisters journeys, from Ghana, to America, and will trace their descendants right up until present day. The two sisters had no idea about each other, but their offspring will unknowingly cross paths more times that once. And will eventually, make it back home.

I buddy-read this book with Denise @ Riot Grrl Reads and boy were we both blown away! There were a lot of tears shed, a lot of gasps, and a lot of vicious page turning. This book was so expertly crafted and such a unique tale that it's hard not to fall in love.

This book follows the generations of two girls. Each chapter tells a different story of someone along the lineage of Esi or Effia. What's incredible is that this book literally covers every important era of Black history, from the slave trade, to the civil war, to the great migration, to the jazz clubs of the 20's, all until now. It's hard to grasp the concept of such history that all traces back to two women, and that's what makes this story so interesting to be told. You never know where you're gonna go next.

I think this book is such an important Black history novel. There are of course, some harsh topics to deal with, but Gyasi keeps this book so real, so true to what some actually had to face. What I love is how she shows the ups and downs, that sometimes, it didn't get easier. She exposes a raw reality that unfortunately, some try to forget.

I think the only problem I had with this novel is that, with so many storylines over so many years, sometimes it was hard to track which person was from Esi or Effia's side. There is a family tree at the beginning of the book, but I found myself having to flip back to it way too much. But other than that, read this! Please, you won't forget it.

Have you read Homegoing? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

5 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm really glad that you enjoyed this, and I agree with most everything that you said! It's really quite fascinating that the novel covers such a vast period of history but it never feels like it's doing too much, if you know what I mean. Plus, I was so invested in all the characters, from start to finish! I did think that the ending was a bit rushed and even... a little unnecessary? But I'm still glad that after all the harrowing experiences the characters went through, the novel ended on a note of hope! Great review. :)

    ~ Aimal @ Bookshelves & Paperbacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aimal, and thanks for stopping by! I think the author is incredibly talented to be able to cover such history and make it flow so easily like it did! I do agree that the last two chapters were a bit rushed and I would say less detailed than the previous ones, but I honestly didn't mind too much because everything else was just too perfect!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds spectacular and I really need to get my hands on it as soon as possible. The history incorporated and the characters all seem to work in favor of the book and I'm so excited already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! It flows so nicely and is also sooo interesting if you're into history!

      Delete