Friday 7 April 2017

Girl Mans Up by: M.E. Girard

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Published: September 6, 2016 by: HarperCollins
Pages: 384
Rating: 5/5 stars



Pen is caught in a battle between what she wants to do and what her parents want her to do. She would rather wear "boy" clothes, things that make her feel comfortable. Her traditional Portuguese parents would rather her wear "girl" clothes, and be the respectful young lady she was meant to be. Get those issues, mixed in with a defiant brother, an authoritative friend, and a new crush that her parents would also disapprove of, Pen is on the journey of expressing her true self. And it's going to take a lot of scrutiny from others for her to get there.

This book was actually one of the most diverse books I have every read, literally everything you could want in representation. You've got a non-binary MC, F/F romances, Portuguese rep, Asian rep, sex positivity and abortion without there being shaming for it! I think the author hit the nail on the head with this book and taught me something new about the LGBTQIAP+ spectrum. To top it all off, the book is #ownvoices so spend time supporting this author!

I feel like I was made less ignorant by reading this. I like to think I am a pretty educated person when it comes to LGBTQIAP+ issues, but there are actually so many things I still need to learn, and this book in particular put me in the shoes of someone who is non-binary. To be honest, when I first read the synopsis I just assumed Pen was gonna be transgender, but news flash to me, there's more than just cis-gender and transgender rep out there! This book can teach a lot of people about the gender issues and roles we have.

I loved the culture representation in this book as well. Pen is Portuguese, and her parents are very traditional, and there was a lot of traditions and customs put into this book as well as language. It was great for the author to actually shed light on the MC's background, as opposed to her just being presumed white. Pen's friend group were also a mix of a lot of ethnicity's and backgrounds, which truly showed that friend groups do not fit into one category.

I also would just like to show some Canadian pride for this book! This book is by a Canadian author and is actually set in Canada, as opposed to every other popular YA book which is set in the US! This is honestly such a big step for the Canadian YA community because I don't feel like our books are represented enough in mainstream YA. I just love how this author got to show our country!

I feel like I've talked a lot about this book! Basically, it was so knowledgeable and important to the conversation that I think you should all read it.

Have you read Girl Mans Up? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

10 comments:

  1. I totally want to read this one - it looks so interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa this sounds AWESOME! I'll have to check it out- and hopefully be educated haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I'm hearing about this book, and I'm so glad you wrote about it, because it sounds amazing! It definitely seems like an all-around diverse novel, and I'm especially excited hearing that it's ownvoices. I've never read an ownvoices non-binary novel, to tell you the truth.

    Wonderful review, Em!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Thanks Veronika. It really was amazing in every way and so good for me too because I've never read a non-binary novel either. I hope you love it!!

      Delete
  4. OMG I'm super excited to read this now!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT A SUPER DIVERSE NOVEL! I'd seen the book around but I never read the reviews..I'm glad I read yours coz now I really want to read this one. i'm glad to see the book touches on so many issues <3 great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma!! I hope you'll get to read this one!

      Delete