Friday 13 January 2017

We All Looked Up by: Tommy Wallach

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Science Fiction
Published: March 24, 2015 by: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 370
Rating: 2/5 stars



Before the asteroid hit, four teens let themselves be defined as labels: the athlete, the outcast, the slacker, the overachiever. But when news that an enormous asteroid would be hitting the earth in 2 months, those teens choose to leave their labels behind and embrace life to the fullest, before everyone is doomed.

I was expecting a lot from this book. I thought that the premise of a pre-apocalyptic book would be so interesting and new, something that I hadn't really read before. Then news of Wallach's rude and quite un-called for suicide jokes came to light and I was sceptic about him. However, I had already gotten this book from the library and decided to give it a shot. Did my opinions on Wallach influence my review of the book? I don't like to think so.

Really the only good thing about this book was the premise. I enjoyed the concept of an asteroid hitting the earth and what humans did with that knowledge, I thought that it was very interesting and extremely emotional to see what people did with their time during those two months. That's about it.

I found the characters to be extremely flat, boring and stupid, You'd think that they would be a lot kinder to each other after learning that they're all going to die in 2 months, but instead most of them were complete jerks. I didn't care for any of them at all and I didn't care for their stories.

I also found the plot up until a few days before the apocalypse to be incredibly boring. I couldn't understand or care for a single thing that was happening, and I honestly wasn't even paying attention. It was so uneventful.

That's pretty much all I have to say about this book. It was a let down that I was not happy about.

Have you read We All Looked Up? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

10 comments:

  1. Ugh he's... ugh.

    Still, you did a good job reviewing this book fairly without ignoring the issues around it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cee :) I tried to be as sensitive as possible. However I won't be reading any more of his books.

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot about this book and I really liked the cover...I'm sad it didn't work out :( You're right, the premise sounds really interesting but I can see it was probably the only good thing haha.

    Great review tho, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I loved the cover too but everything inside was just blah :(

      Delete
  3. Aww I'm so sorry that you didn't like this book. I was actually considering buying this when I saw a blog buddy of mine review this book well, and that was around 2 years haha. It's kind of sad that the characters were all jerks :/ that's not how I expected them to act, especially with the meteor and all. Great review, though, and thank you for sharing, Emily!!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian! I was toying with whether or not to read this for a while, and it was one of those books that I was finally looking forward to read but was so let down!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, but it sounds so good! Such a bummer. Looks like I'll have to avoid this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! That sucks. This book has always been a "maybe" for me but your review confirms it - I'm not going to read this book. :/

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete