Wednesday 10 August 2016

The Diverse Books Tag!



Thank you very very much to Cee @ Diary of a Reading Addict, for tagging me to do this awesome post created by Read  Diverse Books. Because seriously, we need diverse books.

1. Find a Book with a Lesbian Character 

Pretty Little Liars by: Sara Shepard.



Although I haven't got the patience to sit through this entire series (that's another story) this series has a wonderful protagonist named Emily who struggles with her identity but eventually comes to terms with it.

2. Find a Book with a Muslim Protagonist 

I Am Malala by: Malala Yousafzi.



This incredible work of non fiction features the strong teen Malala, as she fights for education in Pakistan and across the world.

3. Find a Book set in Latin America 

I Am a Taxi by: Deborah Ellis 




I've read a few of Ellis' books, but I haven't read this one set in Bolivia! She writes wonderful stories of social justice. 

4. Find a Book about a Person with a Disability 




Blindsided by: Priscilla Cummings

This story is about a girl named Natalie who develops a condition that makes her blind, and so she is sent to a school for blind girls in order to learn how to cope. It is heartbreaking but also educational.

5. Find a Science Fiction or Fantasy Book with a POC Protagonist 

The Wrath and the Dawn by; Renne Adhieh



This beautiful tale inspired by A Thousand and One Arabian Nights will make you fall in love with the main character Shazi.

6. Find a Book Set in Any Country in Africa 

The Heaven Shop by: Deborah Ellis



Again touching on social justice, this book goes into the HIV/Aids crisis in Sub-Saharan Africa, and will make you root for the protagonist and her family.

7. Find a Book Written by a First Nations Author 

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by: Sherman Alexie



I can't wait to read this book! It looks funny but also so informative.

8. Find a Book Set in South Asia 

Three Cups of Tea by: Greg Mortenson

If you haven't read this book, put down all that you're doing and read it now! It will make you laugh, make you cry, and teach you an important lesson in community.



9. Find a Book with a Biracial Protagonist 

Everything, Everything by: Nicola Yoon



This contemporary features an awesome biracial protagonist battling a rare disease.

10. Find a Book about Transgender Issues 

The Art of Being Normal by: Lisa Williamson



I really want to read this book about a transitioning teen!

That's it! I'm tagging anyone who hasn't done this post already! Everyone needs a little diversity in their lives, and so I challenge all of you to go out and find some recommendations with all these categories!

Emily @ Paperback Princess

13 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to do this tag! It's so important to champion diverse books, however I might find it hard, because I don't know any books for so many of these categories! You really need to read The Art of Being Normal - it's such a good book, and one of my favourites! I really need to read I Am Malala - it looks like such an important book, and Malala is truly inspirational ♥

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find it hard as well but I think that in research for the tag it just gave me so many great recommendations as well! I definitely need to read the Art of Being Normal, so many people have recommended it to me! Malala was a fantastic book :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my god read The Art of Being Normal IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND IS SUCH A 'PERFECT-FOR-EMILY' BOOK!!!!!!!!

    Awesome post Emmmmmm!!!!!! Adding so many the things to my TBR XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I LOVE "Perfect for Emily" books so I should definitely read then!!

      Delete
    2. Ha, mental images of you going up to a book shop cashier like 'This book was not, in fact, perfect for Emily. I want a refund' or going in and being like, 'where are all the 'for-Emily' books?' and the cashier's like, 'Wtf?'

      Sorry. My random imagination. >.<

      Delete
  3. I love this tag so much - diverse books are definitely worthy of the limelight, and I feel they should become more saturated in our world! WE NEED DIVERSITY REPRESENTED.

    I really want to read I Am Malala!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree!! I Am Malala was such an inspiring read!

      Delete
  4. This tag is such an awesome one - glad you did it! :D
    I'm marking it down to do!
    I think your responses are awesome too! I'll have to read Three Cups of Tea - I actually bought it a couple of years ago...just haven't gotten around to reading it! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so have to read it! It's so uplifting:)

      Delete
  5. I've seen this tag a couple of times around the blogosphere and I really want to do it too...and I WILL. Soon. I think this is the first time I came across someone who read PLL in the blogosphere!! And guess what? I've read the whole freaking series!!!!!!!! I don't even know why I did, but it was before I started blogging with Vera, so I guess I didn't really have that many awesome recs as I do now and so I had to read whatever I stumbled upon :D I've been meaning to read some of these books for so long, especially I am Malala, and Three Cups of Tea sounds great as well! Great answers, Em! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely don't think I have the patience for the entire series, but it was interesting non the less! Hope you get around to reading Malala!!

      Delete
  6. I'm really glad you made this tag! Three cups of tea and I am a Taxi sound amazing and I really want to read them. Everytime someone does this tag I end up adding a bunch of new books to my tbr. It's great!

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too lol! Hope you love some of these if you do read them :)

      Delete