Friday 1 April 2016

The Love that Split the World by: Emily Henry

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy, Contemporary 
Published: January 26, 2016 by: Razorbill           
Pages: 396
Rating: 3.5/5 stars



Natalie Cleary has always been different. Put up for adoption by her Native American mother and brought up by bubbly and curious parents, Natalie tries to fit in all her life. On her last summer before college, Natalie’s world suddenly becomes all too unfamiliar when she begins to see hallucinations and things that aren’t there. Then enters Grandmother, a mysterious spirit that gives Natalie advice and tells her stories of her past. Grandmother tells Natalie that she has 3 months to save the boy she loves. Suddenly, Natalie finds herself swept in between past and present, as she meets and falls for charismatic football player Beau. But how, and why does she have to save him?

This book was nothing short of unique. Filled with alternating genres of fantasy, sci-fi and romance, the Love that Split the World will bring you into one crazy journey. While it was nothing short of beautiful, I did have some issues with the plot that I hoped wouldn’t happen.

This book will bring you into a whole new world. Not only is it a weird realm of what’s real and what’s fake, but it provided an amazing concept and some great lessons. I enjoyed the Native American stories, I thought that the book was very informative and inspiring, something that you will never read again.

The diction in this book is unreal. Seriously though, almost every line contains some deep quote that flows like a song. It almost sounded like a long poem, because every line had a deep meaning and meant something. There was no room for dull lines.

I really wanted to love this book, I really did. However I think that the overall concept of this book was extremely confusing to me and left me reading over and over to try and understand what the hell was going on. I thought that the concept, while unique, was way too confusing for my cup of tea. I needed some breathing room.

There were too many long rants in this book. It seemed more like a psychology textbook, because of the many long drawn out paragraphs containing philosophy, world issues, and many other things. I didn’t find that these many themes flowed with the overall plot.

I thought that the character of Natalie could have been written better. I don’t know what it was, I just wanted something MORE from her, besides when she was connecting with grandmother, I found her pretty dull and like a typical contemporary character.


Overall, this book was not particularly my cup of tea. I really appreciated the quotes and the meaning, but this book confused me to no end and I couldn’t thoroughly get into it. 

Have you read The Love that Split the World? What did you think? 

Emily @ Paperback Princess

8 comments:

  1. Fab review! Sounds interesting - but sometimes I get the feeling that books are trying too hard to be 'worthy,' and that might be the case here from what you've said.

    And sometimes you just don't like a book - oh well, c'est la vie, keep reading! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, when I read the synopsis, I was a bit thrown off by it - it didn't seem to make tooo much sense to me? Like I thought I'd definitely be in for a confusing book :S
    That being said - I'm glad the quotes were nice - I'll have to look them up on Goodreads! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, the quotes make for some great inspiration and motivation. But it is a very philosophical driven book.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't love this one! The cover and synopsis originally appealed to me, but now I'm not too sure. This is actually the first negative review of the book (even if you didn't hate it!), but I still think I will enjoy it! I like books to have deep messages and meaningful quotes, so I still think this will be the one for me. I'm sorry you couldn't connect with the characters though! ♥

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to love this book because of the hype surrounding it! I guess it just depends on what you hate/like the most in the book.

      Delete
  4. This seemed like an interesting read but after reading your review I'm thinking maybe not. I don't like reading books that leave me confused and unable to follow along. Good and honest review! :)

    Quite a Novel Idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn! I don't want you to feel completely discouraged, but go with your gut you know? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete