Friday 28 August 2015

None of the Above by: I.W. Gregorio

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary
Published: April 7, 2015 by: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 352
Rating: 4.5/5 stars


None of the Above tells the story of Kristin, a girl who has it all. She's got a great group of friends, a hot boyfriend, and is the star of the track team. But that all gets turned upside down when Kristin learns that she is intersex, meaning that outside she looks like a girl, but inside she has male chromosomes. When her secret get's leaked to the whole school, Kristin must struggle with ignorant bullies, and discover who she really is.

This is what we need in YA literature. Diverse books that explain topics that aren't mentioned enough in high school. This book was informative, inspiring and really opened up my mind to a topic that I do not know much about.

The plot could not have been done better. It was emotional without being over-bearing, and it felt like the characters were real. I was engrossed in learning more about Kristin's story, and this is a topic that will stick with me forever. This book showed me how ignorant people can be when uneducated, and what can happen when everything you've ever known about yourself, changes in an instant.

I felt for Kristin as a character. I saw her fully blossom into a beautiful, strong woman by the end of the book, and her development was unlike anything I've seen before. I admired the people who stood by her when people brought her down, and I think that she truly changed the way people think. Like I said before, it all seemed so real.

The only thing that really frusutrated me about this book, was Kristin's willingness to forgive the people who were abosultely horrid to her. I wanted so badly for her to move on from her old friends, but I felt like she took them back without them even apologizing properly. It made me upset that her friends were so mean, and yet they might have not even been realizing it.  I admire Kristin for not holding grudges, but that's not how I would have handled the situation at all.

Overall, I did love this unique and much-needed book. It was quite educational, and I think it could help a lot of people.

Have you read None of the Above? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment